Tuesday, June 24, 2008

'Yakin

Well I finally managed to go on an overnight kayaking trip last weekend. I went with my boss Aaron and three other friends. Saturday morning we took the ferry up to Mt. Wright. My friend Jon Funcke from Iowa who is working up here was supposed to come. Well he slept in and missed the ferry. Luckily there was a new girl employee on the ferry and we convinced her to come with us. So I would have to say it was an upgrade. We camped on an island right across from Mt. Wright called Garforth Island. It is only about a 10 minute 'yak across to the island. We got there and set up camp right away. After that I went exploring on the island. I managed to hike on the beach until one point where I had to bushwhack it through the woods because I couldn't climb on the rocks. After about 20 minutes I came out of the woods to find an abandoned shack. It was surreal. It reminded me of the Blair Witch Project. I came back to the campsite with an ax that was inside of it. A little while after that we all decided to kayak up to Adams Inlet. Thankfully we rode high tide into it so we barely had to paddle. We caught low tide on the way out so we were able to be pushed back to the island. The trip was one of the funnest things I have ever done. The next day we barely made it to the pickup point before the ferry got there. Next week a friend and I are going back out on the ocean and staying out for three days. That should be fun as well. Cheers.









No comments: