Sunday, May 11, 2008

All Alone In Alaska?....I Think Not

It has been about 3 weeks now from when I first touched down in "The Last Frontier". So far things have been going great. My first impressions of Alaska were the shear size of it. Everything seems so large. I flew from Denver to Juneau. Juneau is situated in a little valley by the ocean. It looked smaller than I expected it to be. My flight to Gustavus was in a small, five seater plane. Thankfully the skies were clear so we got to fly over the mountains. Usually if the aren't you have to fly around them. Gustavus is a pretty small town. The population is less than 300. Glacier Bay National Park is located at the end of Mountain View Road. The park is 10 miles from Gustavus. I was able to see a moose while driving to work on my second day. Here is the picture.



I have also seen bald eagles. Last week while driving to work I got a premonition that I was going to see something cool. Sure enough as I came around a corner I saw my first black bear. It looked like it weighed around 175 pounds and would have been almost waist high on me. It was in the road sitting. As I slowed down it walked to the shoulder and into the forest. Of course I didn't have my camera. I hope it won't be the last time I see one. I few days ago I see a river otter cross the road. Thursday we discovered it is living under my building. We saw it go under there and now it smells like fish in a few rooms. Lately I have been really busy getting the lodge up and running. We have gotten about 20 employees so far with more to arrive this week. The lodge opens May 24. Today a few employees and I got some kayaks up and running. I am hoping to get out in the water this week. I am also hoping to get some pictures taken of the forest and surrounding area. Cheers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice...Alaska eh? I just stumbled on your blog link as I gather up my things and thoughts and prepare to move to WA state in a few weeks. Tomm is my last day at 'Portal' - or what's left of it.

If you don't fly fish I'd be a good time to take it up.
Randy J

Anonymous said...

HI son,,,,enjoy your time in Alaska. Have fun and take lots of pictures. we love and miss you.love,
mom/dad